RS-MS1A D-STAR android software
Android app RS-MS1A with D-Star radios IC-2820, IC-92, ID-51, ID-5100) with the serial cable
As of version of the 1.1 Icom app RS-MS1A it becomes possible to use it jointly with one of the "older" d.star radio via serial cable.
The "data chain" to create it's not overcomplicated, but it can imply a bit of luck in finding the right components:
- Telephone or tablet :
it must be an "android 4.x" with USB OTG (Usb On the Go) support. this is a key aspect to make it work with the serial adapter.
- Cable to connect the phone to the serial adapter
it MUST be an"USB OTG" cable cheaper USB reduction from USB A to mini USB DO NOT WORK WITH OTG .
- USB-TO Serial adapater:
it shall be a model recognized by the phone/tablet. sometimes different adpaters works with different phones -- it can be the same one you use with d-rats
- reduction cable compatible with your radio - lately it's a female-serial to mini jack (2.5mm) like the one you use with d-rats
How to use it
- first of all... read the manual of the app and of your radio
- configure the radio as you would do for d.rats (you can test it with d.rats and pc)
- install the android RS-MS1A app from the app store
- connect the serial adapter to the phone using the otg cable. the phone will promt you to launch an app... select the RS-MS1A -- if this doesnt happen:
- feel lucky
- try with a different OTG adapter
- check that it all works with d-rats and pc
- try with different serial adapter
- try with different phone
- open the RS-MS1A app and select "other radio"
- be sure to insert "mycall" and "your call" in the proper fields otherwise it will not work.
IC-92: data speed to be set at 9200 bps